expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Open House FREEBIE!!!

I had an exhilarating, yet exhausting, first three days with my students last week!  I am linking up with Teaching Blog Addict to share an Open House idea.


We had Open House on the evening of the first day of school.  Since that doesn't give us much time with students (one day!) to complete any work to display, I made this activity last year.  Students answer some "about me" questions on this handout during school and then display the other side on their desks for Open House. The other side has the same questions but from the point of view that THE PARENT(S) will answer the questions about their child at Open House.  The object is to see how well the parents know their children and guess what their child wrote down for his/her survey answers.

I love this simple Open House activity because:

1.   It is fascinating watching the parents and students interact as the parents try to answer the questions correctly about their child.

2.  It doesn't take much time to prepare and is something representing the student, not just a handout I created for the parents.  Parents love to see their own child's work.

3.  It gives the parents and children something to do at Open House, especially since our Open House is the first day of school.  There is only so much time that can be spent at the student's desk or exploring around the room.

3.  I usually am pressed for time and it is difficult to get a chance to talk to all the parents.  This activity "stalls" the parents a little bit to give me a better chance of getting to talk to everyone.  It is also a good conversation piece when I meet the parents and see them talking about their answers with their child.  The answers are usually quite funny and allows for easy, upbeat conversation.

You can get the two page handout for FREE here at my TPT store!




I also wanted to give a shout out and HUGE THANK YOU to Jen at Teaching, Life, and Everything in Between for hosting a fabulous giveaway.  I feel so blessed to have been the lucky winner of a $25 Amazon giftcard!!!  Now, I have to choose what items from my cart to spend it on:)  Thanks, Jen!!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is so cute :) I am your newest follower.. congrats on the gift card very lucky! I will be having a giveaway when I reach 200 followers so hopefully you can check my blog out too :)

    Http://lovetoteach123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a 4th grade teacher. Glad I found you! I'm your newest follower!

    Emily
    I Love My Classroom
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete